Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Half Marathon Training, Week 3


Monday - Rest or XT


Training:

I am going to try this whole strength exercise thing again. I very quickly fell off the wagon due to a combination of time, not wanting to be sore for runs, and probably laziness during my last training stretch. I found the workout I will start with here. 


I am also going to do some hamstring curls. My knee is twinging when I run, and it makes me nervous. I used to have patella femoral syndrome in high school- possibly from volleyball and squats in the weight room for throwing during track season. I am wondering if I might have the same issue coming back. I don't think I need to go see anyone right now, and what I remember is working all the other muscles in my legs to try and compensate for my focus on the running set of muscles. 

Here is what I ended up doing:

Kettlebell Sumo Deadlift: 25 lbs, 2 sets of 10
Lunges:  2 set of 5 for each leg
Single-Leg Deadlifts: 8lbs, 2 sets of 10
Planks: 2 sets, 30 seconds for the middle, 15 seconds on each side
Single-Leg Hip Extensions: 2 sets of 5 for each leg
Hamstring Curls: 30 lbs, 3 sets of 10

I really wanted to make sure I was careful not to do too much. I can feel a little quiver in my quads, but hopefully any soreness will be minimal.

Food:

I am going to try and pay attention a lot more to my calories. I want to eat at a deficit- which I know is not ideal for training. However, I have to remember that I am not elite, and weight loss at this point would do huge thing for my performance. So I am still ballparking at 1200-1500 in order to lose weight, but also eating back calories from running. I am not strict, things happen, and I'm not trying to starve myself.

Calories in: 1624
Calories burned from exercise: 268


Tuesday - Fast Finish Run 1


Training:

I was feeling it a little in my hamstrings today. Definitely struggled to get out of bed.

Total Time: 54:23
Total Distance: 3.75 miles
Average Pace: 14:30
Average Heart Rate: 147
Calories Burned: 661

.5M Zone 1
1.5M Zone 2
1M Zone 3
.75M Zone 1

I went back and looked, I was probably not in Zone 3 using the calculator I have. I was in kind of a black home between Zone 2 and Zone 3. I will have to pay more attention.

Food:

Tracking calories makes me hate certain restaurants. Seriously, Abuelo's. Why can't you post nutrition information? Using My Fitness Pal has taught me that my guess on calories is usually way off base, so I hate trying to find the thing on the menu that is the least awful for me that isn't a salad. I settled on seafood tacos. Probably not great, but could be much worse. But my calories on my lunch are a TOTAL guess. 

Calories in: 2325

Calories burned from exercise: 661


Wednesday - Foundation Run 2


Training:

Today my hamstrings hurt even more. Despite my heart rate monitor telling me I still had room, I FELT like I was going harder- but a lot of that could have been the soreness. Definitely struggled to get out of bed AGAIN. I can't keep doing this and go any higher on miles because I will be running so late!

Total Time: 59.03
Total Distance: 4.00 miles
Average Pace: 14:46
Average Heart Rate: 142
Calories Burned: 665

.5M Zone 1
3M Zone 2
.5M Zone 1

Food:

I actually made a salad/side out of corn, black beans, red peppers, lime juice, and cilantro, and I LIKE it. I threw some chicken breast on it and YUM. So what if it called for onion and tomato? Why ruin a good thing?

Calories in: 2112

Calories burned from exercise: 665

Thursday - Speed Play Run 2


Training:

I tried this whole speed work thing for the second time. Since I couldn't get out of bed, I had to do it on my lunch break. And since I get sweaty, I can't spend as long cooling down as I would like because I have to re-beautify. Running at lunch is just an act of desperation. I know I have no motivation at night after my son goes to bed, and I have too much mommy guilt to run before he goes to bed.

Total Time: 34:28
Total Distance: 2.50 miles
Average Pace: 13:51
Average Heart Rate: 155
Calories Burned: 463

.5M Zone 1
.5M Zone 2
5 x 1 min Zone 5
Cooldown

I am able to get up to a little under a 9:00 mile pace at Zone 5. I definitely do not enjoy it.

Food:

This was a day where the whole calorie counting thing seemed do-able. I wasn't starving, I liked what I ate, and I didn't eat a ton of calories.

Calories in: 1695

Calories burned from exercise: 463

Friday - Foundation Run 2


Training:

I was feeling the effects of the speed workout. It kind of amazes me that just running hard for one minute, five separate times, can make my muscles sore.


Total Time: 47:43
Total Distance: 3.10 miles
Average Pace: 15:23
Average Heart Rate: 143

Calories Burned: 554

Food:

Nothing too special here. It's probably not the greatest as far as sugar, but I love the dark chocolate spice smoothie at Smoothie King. It's discontinued, but they have all the stuff. It is also Friday, so smoothies are $5 for a 32 oz, which is actually cheaper than a 20 oz, but obviously more calories. I tried to just sip it over a longer period of time so I wouldn't need an afternoon snack.

Calories in: 2310

Calories burned from exercise: 554

Saturday- Long Run 1


Training:

It was not quite drizzling when I left, so I didn't bother with a hat. I was even feeling good so I went a tad longer than the 6 miles. But when I turned around, it was suddenly fully raining despite the forecast saying it wasn't supposed to start for hours. Ugh- all the water running down my face and pushing sweat into my eyes. At least it kept the temperature pleasant.

Total Time: 1:37:25
Total Distance: 6.50 miles
Average Pace: 15:00
Average Heart Rate: 146
Calories Burned: 1,171

Food:

I was doing not terrible on calories until I visited my family. Ribs, mac and cheese, and a few hours later we went out to a local ice cream shop with GREAT ice cream. There are some calorie listings, but I am really bad at estimating portions. I would say I did something between 500-1000 calories in ice cream from a small. It seemed like a very reasonable portion, definitely smaller than a small blizzard, but I think they use the good, full-fat stuff when they make it. 

Calories in: ??

Calories burned from exercise: 1,171

Sunday - Foundation Run 2


Training:

Nothing special here, other than the reminder of just how much slower I go in the heat. It's not even TRULY hot, but I went out around 12:30, and at 75 degrees in full sun it sure does FEEL hot. Also just another reminder to myself to try on EVERYTHING before I cut off the tags. I bought a second pair of capris, thinking they were the same ones I already wore once but in a different print. No, these have a drawstring that seems almost necessary to keep them up. Not a fan.

Total Time: 1:02:41
Total Distance: 4.00 miles
Average Pace: 15:41
Average Heart Rate: 146
Calories Burned: 749

Food:

I am finding myself wondering if I'm getting enough carbs after some reading. I saw numbers as high as 3.5x weight in grams of carbs. I'm not sure how realistic that is at my weight and with my calorie goals. I will have to investigate more.

Also, definitely binged on salsa con queso tonight while watching Game of Thrones- "Hold the Door!"

Calories in: 2199

Calories burned from exercise: 749

No comments:

Post a Comment