Monday, September 7, 2015

Where Do I Go From Here?

From my research (googling), it really looks like I have a decision to make. Right now the longest race I have run is a 10K. I was really happy with my time personally, though I am nowhere near even the middle of the pack. I have not made the progress on getting back into training that I would like- especially this week when I was up in the mountains on a work retreat. Let me tell you, mountain trail running at 9600 feet? I was barely above a walk and my heart was racing.

My attempt to run 6 miles yesterday fell flat. It was so hot and humid that I gave up after 3. I think when I ran the 10K several weeks ago it was just like I had given my body a short break and I was fully recharged. At this point it is really just showing that I am not training where I was.

But back to my decision. Is 10K where I stick for a while? From what I have read, it is very difficult to get faster and go further. My big goal is to at least do a half marathon. Maybe I go further than that eventually. BUT, given my current speed, I don't know that I have the TIME to train for even the half. When you go as slow as I do, I need about 1.5 hours to go out and run 6 miles. Do I have the time to run 2-2.5 hours one day each week, and an hour 3-4 other days a week? Plus the weight training...

Or do I stick here? I know weight loss will make me faster, though it would have to be pretty substantial to REALLY make a difference. However, substantial weight loss is what I need. But if I stick here I can focus on getting my time down before I move on to bigger things. Maybe I can get down to that sub 10-minute mile eventually. Or at least down to a time where I can finish a half marathon in less than 3 hours so I don't have to worry about a pacing golf cart picking me up.

I think that is what I'm going to do. I am going to stick around the 10K for a while. See how the weight loss and the winter goes. In theory, if I really want to run a half marathon, from a 10K I probably only need 2-3 months of training to at least be able to finish a half marathon.

My husband is finally on the weight loss bandwagon with me. Of course, so far that has meant cutting back on snacking after dinner and eating yogurt instead of poptarts for breakfast, which translates into weight loss of several pounds in one week. I'm not bitter.

For me, I'm trying to go to a slightly less processed, less sugar, more veggies, and less pasta route. I love slimfast shakes for breakfast, but I don't think the sugar is doing me any favors. I'm trying to make my own shakes using Trader Joe's Whey Protein Powder- the chocolate one.
 Image result for trader joe's whey protein powder
I'm adding a couple cups of spinach, vanilla-flavored almond milk, and a few frozen strawberries. I guess I was hoping it would taste like a chocolate-covered strawberry. Once I logged it in I realized it really isn't helping my lower sugar thing. However, I can hide a lot of spinach in there without really noticing any taste.

So now I'm torn because I'm not sure which one is better for me. The slimfast has a lot of vitamins, even though they are put in there chemically. Something about me putting spinach in a blender makes me feel healthier. And maybe I can figure out some other things to add as well. I have to keep it fairly low calorie because I haven't developed the willpower to eat a 400 calorie dinner, and I have to snack between meals to not be miserable. I also haven't developed the willpower to eat plain veggies as a snack, which would solve all of my problems...

No comments:

Post a Comment