Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016 1/2 Pig Training - Week .5

Since technically next week is the first official week of the program, I'm calling this week .5. I'm going to be posting once a week outlining what I accomplished, how it felt, and anything else that might be interesting. While maybe I have a secret hope that someday someone else will read this and find it inspirational or at least interesting, this is mainly to hold myself accountable. If I enjoy this enough to do it again, then I can use it as a reference to see how far I've come.



Monday - Rest or XT


Training:

I normally don't run on Mondays anyway, usually because I stay up past my bedtime watching Walking Dead, and however much of Talking Dead I can stay awake for. Thankfully, the schedule calls for rest or crosstraining today. I took myself down to the gym to do this random runner leg workout I found on Pinterest. Now, I'm not totally gullible where I think if I found it on the internet and it says "runner," it must be good. I looked it over and it is more body weight or low free weight things, which appealed to me. And it is only 5 exercises, so it won't take a ton of time since I'm doing it during lunch. I found the workout here.


And here is what I actually accomplished:

Kettlebell Sumo Deadlift: 15 lbs, 2 sets of 12
Lunges:  2 set of 20 for each leg
Single-Leg Deadlifts: 8lbs, 2 sets of 10
Planks: 45 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds
Single-Leg Hip Extensions: 2 sets of 5 for each leg

So while it seemed not a big deal, I could tell when I was done I would be feeling it tomorrow. And I am. It hurts to go down the stairs.

Food:

I did okay today. A shake for breakfast, some cookies, yogurt, and slow cooker chicken and vegetables. The dinner and dessert were less healthy: sausage with mac and cheese and cherry pie for dessert. 

Tuesday - 3-5 Miles


Training:

Today I actually got out of bed to run. I set my alarm for 5:05, got out of be at 5:20, and was out the door at 5:40. I could really get a lot more sleep in if I changed some parts of that routine...

Total Time: 42:06
Total Distance: 3.00 miles
Average Pace: 14:02
Average Heart Rate: 162
Calories Burned: 615

Yikes! That time is worse than a normal bad run. I can only say that with sore hamstrings, quads, and glutes, it FELT like I was going faster. Everything I read says I SHOULD be doing some strength exercises, not just running or cross training. And maybe my muscles just aren't used to it- I've probably only done leg strength training a handful of times over the past year. All I know is, I am going to keep trying these exercises, but I'm going to be really careful that I am not in this condition for a race!

Food:

Today went a little better. Shake and raisin bread for breakfast. Banana and yogurt for snacks (and maybe a cookie or two). Slow cooker chicken and veggies for lunch. And dinner was chicken and spinach burgers.

Wednesday - XT


Training:

Today I just went on the elliptical for 35 minutes. I did the alpine pass setting, which is basically high inclines and then lots of downhill. Nothing too special here. I'm still sore in my hamstrings and quads.

Food:

Today was pretty much identical to yesterday, with the exception of pizza for dinner. I am weak. Pizza also involved pizza bombs, which are a deep fried awesome thing as good as it sounds. No dessert though, the pie is gone.

Thursday - 4 Miles Free Run


Training:

I don't think I made it out the door until 5:50. I actually laid there debating on going out at lunch to run instead since I am working from home today. After looking at the weather it turns out it was going to be the same temperature at lunch, so I might as well get it over with.

So this run is supposed to be a moderately hard run by feel only, no pacing myself with my Garmin. I feel like I accomplished that. I think my hamstrings are a little more sore from the elliptical yesterday. So while I didn't feel out of breath, I felt I was pushing myself because my legs were burning the whole time. 

After logging on and playing with some more features on the Garmin site, I noticed that my heart rate read as over 200 for several minutes early in the run, so I think my calories and heart rate are high. I went back and looked, I saw it happen one other time. I probably need to tighten the band or put a little water on it before I go out.

Total Time: 50:21
Total Distance: 4.00 miles
Average Pace: 12:35
Average Heart Rate: 174
Calories Burned: 827

Food:

It's New Years Eve. This is a day I celebrate with food. So far its has been pizza and popcorn. There is champagne and pasta in my future as well. However, we are going over to a friend's house who is vegan, so I should probably be able to control myself on the snacks. I don't care what he says, none of that food is "just as good." Vegan ice cream.... why?

Friday - Rest


Training:

I really did rest. I did practically nothing except visit family. I only had 2,115 steps for the day total.

Food:

I didn't bother to control myself. They set out so many finger foods! And sushi for dinner.

Saturday- 3-5 Miles


Training:

It took a little while to get moving, but I got out there. 

Total Time: 56:26
Total Distance: 4.50 miles
Average Pace: 12:32
Average Heart Rate: 171
Calories Burned: 900

I had that spike in heart rate again. No way my heart is actually beating over 200- I've done workouts where I thought my heart was going to explode and it was only in the 180s. I didn't feel like I was pushing TOO hard, but I was pushing. 

I also went to the meeting about the training that officially starts next week. I happened to sit next to someone as slow as me, so it's nice to know there will be someone there. However, she is going to run a different half marathon, so no running buddy for race day. I also learned that they have in-person speed work or road/hill training on Tuesdays. I really need to try and make as many of those as possible, but it is going to be hard to make it during busy time at work.

Food:

Shake for breakfast. Sushi for lunch. Skyline for dinner. Cookies, ice cream, and Mountain Dew. I'm not even trying...

Sunday - 30-40 Minutes Easy


Training:

I really need to work on discipline. Why does it take me so long to get out the door??

Total Time: 43:43
Total Distance: 3.25 miles
Average Pace: 13:26
Average Heart Rate: 154
Calories Burned: 580

I really did take it easy. I felt pretty good the whole time. 

Food:

Shake for breakfast. Pizza for lunch. Spaghetti squash spaghetti for dinner, maybe with a little bit of real pasta mixed in. But when I think of what I'm forcing myself to try and eat next week for lunch, I feel no guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment